The Toronto Maple Leafs have played 3 straight online games that have gone to additional time. In two of those people online games, Nazem Kadri and Leo Komarov begun additional time and Patrick Marleau and Mitch Marner begun the other. In all 3 online games, Auston Matthews and William Nylander were being the 2nd pair of forwards on the ice and in all 3 online games they didn’t contact the puck on that change.
Possessing Matthews and Nylander in possession of the puck in additional time is of course a superior factor as the Leafs have four additional time ambitions this yr, 3 of them scored by Matthews and Nylander (Marleau has the fourth). Matthews potential customers the crew in ambitions (19) and details (33) and Nylander is 2nd on the crew in details (31).
Head mentor Mike Babcock’s additional time strategy demands to modify.
Show A: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Columbus Blue Jackets 01/08/2018
Just after primary 2- and dominating the 2nd and third intervals, the Leafs gave up just one unlucky purpose and just one purpose off of a terrible Morgan Rielly giveaway late in the third period to deliver the match to additional time, where by the forward shifts went as follows:
- Kadri and Komarov: Have possession for most of the change, choose two photographs and modify as soon as they’ve misplaced possession.
- Matthews and Nylander: Chase the puck on defence for about just one moment. The participate in ends with a shot versus and a stoppage but never ever contact the puck.
- Marleau and Marner: Win the faceoff and get a shot which is deflected out of participate in on a fast change.
- Tyler Bozak and Connor Brown: Get rid of the faceoff and exchange scoring probabilities.
- Matthews and Nylander: Nylander comes on for Brown early and sets up Bozak on a breakaway and then displays some rather bad defensive energy on the purpose versus. Matthews had just jumped on the ice for Bozak and wasn’t in the participate in yet when the Blue Jackets scored.
Though the Leafs had probabilities to score in additional time, they went to Bozak and Kadri, with photographs from afar from Marner and Rielly. Matthews was not place in a place to realize success. The Blue Jackets begun additional time with Artemi Panarin, Pierre-Luc Dubois and Seth Jones which isn’t that frightening so, starting off off with the shutdown pair of Kadri and Komarov is puzzling.
Show B: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Vancouver Canucks 01/06/2018
The Leafs were being taking part in from guiding for most of the match versus the Canucks but they scored two ambitions in the third period to power additional time. This just one went to a shootout, so I will not record all of the forward shifts but I will converse about the 1st two:
- Marleau and Marner: Win the faceoff and have a weak scoring prospect but then reduce possession.
- Matthews and Nylander: Once again, occur on the ice without having the puck and have to participate in defence. The participate in ends when Brock Boeser thinks he has scored. They keep on the ice for a change subsequent the purpose assessment, where by they earn the faceoff, command possession for a while and finally attract a penalty.
The Leafs failed to score on the energy participate in and the rest of additional time was relatively uneventful. The Leafs won in a shootout.
Just like the Blue Jackets match, Matthews and Nylander were being pressured to participate in defence in additional time. The good thing is, they were being equipped to start a change with a faceoff just after a long hold off and built a positive effects by drawing a penalty.
Show C: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. San Jose Sharks 01/04/2018
This match was 2-2 just after the 2nd period and both goalies played perfectly in the third period to deliver it to additional time. The Sharks begun OT with the trio of Joe Pavelski, Joe Thornton and Brent Burns, so there’s a tiny a lot more justification to start with a shutdown unit but it nonetheless place the Leafs in a place where by their most effective players do not have the puck. Below are the additional time forward shifts from that match:
- Kadri and Komarov: Get rid of the faceoff but finally get a takeaway and Komarov appears to have a breakaway but is caught from guiding by Thornton and loses the puck.
- Matthews and Nylander: Chase the puck on defence for about just one moment just before switching. Never ever contact the puck.
- Marleau and Marner: Pinned in the defensive zone finally deflect a shot out of participate in.
- Kadri and Komarov: On again versus Pavelski, Thornton and Burns. They earn the faceoff and have possession for a while but do not definitely get a scoring prospect and finally reduce the puck.
- Marleau and Marner: The Sharks pass up the web on a shot and these two have a mediocre scoring prospect and then Marner normally takes a penalty.
The Leafs killed the penalty and won the match in a shootout, but it’s a further instance of Matthews and Nylander staying caught chasing the puck on protection.
Matthews Requirements to Start Overtime
Possessing Matthews and Nylander occur onto the ice as the 2nd change does not perform.
Matthews demands to be on the ice for the OT faceoff because, 1st of all, it’s labored in the past. Below is the emphasize of the additional time match versus the Montreal Canadiens in Oct in which Matthews scores on the 1st change in additional time, set up by a lovely rush by Nylander.
The 2nd cause is faceoffs. He potential customers the Leafs in faceoff earn proportion at 54.5%. Nylander is fourth on the crew at 53.2%. In the meantime, Kadri has the worst faceoff earn proportion of the Leafs’ centres at 48.6%. The opening faceoff is essential to getting possession in 3-on-3 additional time.
The closing cause is that starting off Matthews forces the opposing mentor into a selection. If the Leafs make a routine of starting off additional time with Matthews and Nylander, opponents might take into consideration primary off with their shutdown pair instead of their best scorers or they can go most effective-on-most effective. Either way, I like the Leafs’ odds with Matthews on the ice.