Liverpool news: Mohamed Salah accused of being 'selfish' as agreement reached over star
View 3 Images

Mohamed Salah is at the centre of a fresh storm as Liverpool prepare to wrap up their campaign against Brentford . The Reds are still reeling from a second loss in three Premier League outings and have gone almost a month without a win.
Arne Slot's sophomore season at Anfield has failed to live up to the expectations built by his title-winning debut last year. Much was expected from the club following a spend of more than £400million last summer, only to fall flat in a big way.
Salah could still deliver a parting gift to his club of nine years by helping seal a winning finish in his final game for the club. However, his latest outburst has drawn the ire of some pundits as Mirror Football breaks down Wednesday's Liverpool headlines.
FOLLOW OUR LIVERPOOL FB PAGE! Latest Reds news and more on our dedicated Facebook page
After previously suggesting he's been "thrown under the bus" by Slot in December, Salah has taken aim at his chief once again . The Egyptian came off the bench for only the last 15 minutes or so as Liverpool lost 4-2 away to Aston Villa .
But it was Salah's social media commentary after the game that drew criticism. He started off by calling the latest loss "very painful" before praising Jurgen Klopp's "heavy metal" football, which appeared to be a thinly veiled dig at the current product fans are seeing under Slot.
"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he continued. "That is the football I know how to play and that is the identity that needs to be recovered and kept for good. It cannot be negotiable and everyone that joins this club should adapt to it."
Salah went on to say making it back into the Champions League next term is the "bare minimum." But then one can understand why some fans may wonder if Salah is unaware as to how those comments hardly helped in that regard.
View 3 Images

Jamie Carragher was critical of the club icon following his rant in December after he was dropped for the 3-3 draw against Leeds. And he once again took aim at his fellow Kop legend , suggesting the timing of his "selfish" remarks was woeful given the race for Champions League qualification.
"I'm not surprised," said Carragher on Sky Sports . "I told everybody, 'Something else will come before the end of the season. He'll drop another bomb a little bit like Ronaldo did on the way out of Manchester United .' I thought it may come after the end of the season when he'd moved on, but no.
"Less than two years ago, I called him selfish for doing an interview and I think that rings true again. Liverpool have a really important week. They are still not fully qualified for the Champions League and it should be about Liverpool FC, not Salah FC. It's vital that Liverpool make the Champions League positions, but I'm not surprised and it's not a good look at all."
Content cannot be displayed without consent
Another member of the 2005 Champions League-winning squad to join in the chorus of criticism was John Arne Riise. The retired left-back piggybacked on Carragher's comments and revealed his frustration that Salah couldn't hide his personal grudge for one more week, at least.
Riise, who didn't play in the Istanbul final 21 years ago, concurred that the departing winger could have held his tongue. However, he assured no-one is bigger than Liverpool, even if Salah appears intent to air his frustrations about the manager.
"It annoys me that Mohamed Salah couldn’t at least wait until the season was finished before saying those things," Riise told Bet Victor Online Casino. "Everyone knows he’s leaving, so why not just keep those opinions to yourself until the end? Or why say them at all?
View 3 Images

"I’ve read what Wayne Rooney said and what Jamie Carragher said, and honestly, I understand why people are reacting the way they are...I’ve met Mo Salah a few times and I’ve always seen him as a lovely person: smiley, friendly, respectful and someone who looks after people.
"That’s why I can’t really understand these comments. It almost feels like a different person writing them. If it’s a PR team advising him to do these things and make his name bigger than the club, then that’s wrong because Liverpool Football Club will always be bigger than any player. Always."
The Norwegian then commented on Rooney's suggestion that Salah won't start against Brentford in light of his outburst. Many would expect the Anfield icon to be given a send-off as a starter in his last game but Riise believes he'll continue in a bench role.
Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundle to now include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, as well as 135 channels and full Sky coverage of the Premier League and EFL.
"To be honest, I agree with Rooney on that point," he continued. "I don’t understand why Arne Slot would allow a player to publicly criticise the team and then still give him a big send-off in the final game.
"Why would the manager reward that behaviour after the things that have been said? I would genuinely be surprised if Mohamed Salah starts the final game."