Spygate drama escalates as furious Hull owner claims lawyers think they should be promoted
View 2 Images

Hull City owner Acun Ilicali has revealed that he has been advised his club have a case for immediate promotion to the Premier League following the fallout from the Spygate drama between Southampton and Middlesbrough. The Tigers have seen their opponent change just days before the play-off final, with preparation to face the Saints now thrown out of the window.
Southampton were found guilty of breaching EFL rules after being caught spying on Middlesbrough training before their play-off semi-final. They also admitted to two other instances of spying on opposition teams and were booted out of the play-offs as a result.
The Saints will launch an appeal on Wednesday over the severity of their punishment, meaning that Middlesbrough's return to the competition is not 100 per cent confirmed just yet.
While his side prepares to face Boro this weekend, Ilicali has confirmed that lawyers have advised that Hull should move directly into the top flight, without playing in the play-off final, following Southampton's expulsion.
“Under normal circumstances, two teams have reached the final and one has been disqualified," Ilicali said. "Our lawyers’ opinion is that we should go directly to the Premier League, but they’re examining it right now. We can’t say anything definitive. It’s a bit of a messy situation.
“We had been preparing for Southampton for 10 days. All the planning, analysis, and work was focused on them. Now, with the days left until the final, the opponent has changed. Tomorrow the players are off, Thursday is the last serious training session. We’ll prepare for the new opponent with one training session.”
Southampton are disappointed with the level of punishment they have received, and have highlighted issues in the decision-making as they make their appeal. Saints chief Phil Parsons released a statement pushing Southampton's claim.
CEO Parsons said: "We have appealed yesterday's decision by the Independent Disciplinary Commission to expel Southampton Football Club from the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs, and to impose a four-point deduction for the 2026/27 season. Before turning to that appeal, I want to address our supporters, our players, and the wider football community directly and without equivocation.
View 2 Images

"What happened was wrong. The club has admitted breaches of EFL Regulations 3.4 and 127. We are sorry to the other clubs involved, and most of all to the Southampton supporters whose extraordinary loyalty and support this season deserved better from the club.
"We have provided our full co-operation to the EFL's investigation and disciplinary process. Following the appeal, we will also be writing to the EFL to volunteer our participation in a working group on the practical application and enforcement of Regulation 127 across the Championship. Contrition without change is hollow, and we intend to demonstrate change.
"On the appeal itself: we accept that there should be a sanction. What we cannot accept is a sanction which bears no proportion to the offence. Whereas Leeds United was fined £200,000 for a similar offence, Southampton has been denied the opportunity to compete in a game worth more than £200m and one which means so much to our staff, players and supporters.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest news, analysis and much more on Mirror Football's Facebook page
"We believe the financial consequence of yesterday's ruling makes it, by a very considerable distance, the largest penalty ever imposed on an English football club. Luton Town's 30-point deduction in 2008/09 - to date the most severe sporting sanction in the English game - was levied against a club already in League Two , with no comparable revenue at stake.
" Derby County's 21-point deduction in 2021 cost them their Championship status. Everton's eventual six-point deduction in 2023/24 followed losses of £124.5m, a figure dwarfed by what has been taken from Southampton in a single afternoon. The largest financial penalty ever levied by the Premier League, against Chelsea in March of this year, was £10.75m, and was accompanied by no sporting sanction whatsoever despite involving £47.5 million in undisclosed payments over seven years.
"We say this not to minimise what occurred at this club, which we have accepted was wrong. We say it because proportionality is itself a principle of natural justice. The Commission was entitled to impose a sanction.
"It was not, we will argue, entitled to impose one that is manifestly disproportionate to every previous sanction in the history of the English game. Our appeal will be heard today, and we will provide a further update in due course."
Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundle to now include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, as well as 135 channels and full Sky coverage of the Premier League and EFL.